What Comes First: Home or Work?
It's almost like asking, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Work is
addicting... and even more so when you work for yourself and your computer is in your home office, or
shop! While you spend hour upon hour building your online presence, writing articles, press releases, social
networking accounts and emails to network with other entrepreneurs and provide online customer services to clients,
you tend to neglect a dozen odd household jobs. Hours seem to fly by when working online. As for your household
chores and duties, with great effort, you pry yourself away from the desk to just take care of the most basic ones
like fixing dinner, driving your kids to school, etc! It is proven fact that business owners put in more work
hours on any given day, including weekends and holidays, than employees. It feels good to work for yourself and is
rewarding. Work no longer feels like "work", it has become a goal with the understanding, that the more we put in,
the more we get out.
Balancing Homework, Household Chorse and Work
Cleaning, organizing, buying groceries, paying your bills, going to the post office etc are
often postponed till the last hour. So how do you balance your work along with your home? There are two
important steps: first, make yourself realize the fact that you HAVE TO take time out for your home and
family and there is no excuse in the world to avoid that. Secondly, start organizing your available time. Here
are some quick steps to help you balance your work as well as your home.
1. Divide available hours between your home and your work diligently.
2. Set timers when you are working online.
3. Maintain a 'To Do' list or a diary.
4. Picture yourself going through the troubles of paying your bills later than allowed.
5. Set aside some time for all those jobs which require you to go outside. For e.g. going to the market, post
office, bank etc. Try to coincide these with each other. Say, for example, you could take care of these after
driving your kids to school.
6. Make up your mind and start some kind of organizing/ decorating/ renovating activity around your house. These
are so addicting that once you start, you will enjoy yourself a lot.
7. Similarly, take up your favorite hobby in the afternoon. You will love the change and enjoy getting
8. Plan weekly activities. Take up cleaning once a week. Go for outings once a week. Call upon a friend once a
week. This will help you maintain your social life as well.
9. Surf the net for information related to a hobby. This will get you started with that hobby and also give you
the much needed break from work.
10. Surf the web with your hubby or children. Show them websites of their interest. That way, you will also get to
spend more time with them.
Just like the old saying - 'You Eat to Live, You do not Live to Eat', I'll say
'You Work to Live, You do not Live to Work'. It's no use being successful on the cost of your home and your
The 'Dot Com Women' of today are not women who stay online for hours with a guilt feeling on the back of their
minds. They are women with a strong desire to succeed in their personal and professional lives. And you are one of
them! That's why you chose to read this, isn't it?
Good Luck with your efforts to striking a balance between your work and your home!
About the Author
Lata Tokhi is the Founder and Editor of Dot Com Women, a premier
women's website and fast-growing online community, and Celebrating Christmas, a resource for
celebrating Christmas in style. Visit her websites for lots of
homemaking and business ideas, free downloads, free Ezines and
message boards for women to network and share.